This article provides instructions on setting up a student's new iPad Air.
Where To Start
Note: You will be required to know your district username and password in order to complete these directions. If you do not know that information please see the login help desk for assistance.
- Power your iPad on.
- Press the home button to start.
- Tap English then tap United States.
- Tap 284Student.
- Enter your district username and password then tap Join.
- Tap Trust.
- Tap Enable Location Services.
- Tap Set Up as New iPad.
- Tap Next.
- Enter your district username and password then tap Next.
- Tap Continue.
- Place your finger on the home button, lift and repeat until the screen advances.
- Tap Continue.
- Again, place your finger on the home button, lift and repeat then tap Continue.
- Enter a passcode. Note: Your passcode must be at least 4 characters long and can not have any repeating, ascending, or descending character sequences.
- Tap Next.
- Enter your passcode again then tap Next.
- Tap Get Started.
Setup District Email
A dialog box will appear that asks you to enter your Google password. Tap Settings.
- Note: If the same dialog box appears again, tap Cancel.
- Enter your district Password then tap Next.
Acceptable Use and Regulation Policies
A webclip will automatically be installed on your device home screen called AUP.
- Tap AUP.
- Login with your district email (email@example.com) and district password. Tap Sign in.
- Read through the policies and fill out the form as you go.
- Once you have submitted the form you will receive an confirmation email as proof of its completion.
IMPORTANT: You will need to show this confirmation email at the checkout desk as you leave.
Purchase Insurance Optional
- Tap Settings then tap General then tap About.
- Copy the Serial Number by holding your finger over the Serial Number until a Copy bubble appears. Tap Copy.
- Go back to the home screen by pushing the physical home button.
- Tap the iPad Insurance web clip.
- Fill out the the insurance form. Note: While filling out the insurance form you will eventually be asked to enter the Serial Number. Enter your Serial Number by pressing and holding your finger in the Serial Number field until you see a “magnifying circle” show up. Release your finger and then tap Paste.
Connecting to Home WiFi
When using your district iPad at home, after connecting to your home network, you will need to authenticate to the web filter before you are able to receive emails and other network data for applications. This will need to be done every 24 hours. To do so, follow these directions:
- On the home screen tap Internet Login.
- If a prompt appears tap Continue.
- Enter your district username and password.
- Tap Login.
- An app will automatically be installed on your device home screen called Self Service.
- Tap Self Service.
- The following popup will appear: “Self Service would like to send you notifications”. Tap OK.
- Wait for the app to finish setting up. This could take up to a few minutes to complete.
- Verify that you see a list of apps available for install.
Setup Managed Apple ID
- You should have recently received an email in your inbox with the subject “Apple School Manager”. Tap on that email to open it.
- You will now see your managed apple ID (firstname.lastname@example.org) and a temporary password.
- Copy the temporary password by holding your finger over the password until it is highlighted then release your finger. Tap Copy.
- Go back to the home screen by pushing the physical home button and tap Settings.
- Tap Sign in to your iPad in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Enter your Apple ID (email@example.com).
- Enter your temporary password by pressing and holding your finger in the password field until you see a “magnifying circle” show up. Release your finger and then tap Paste.
- Tap Sign In.
- Enter/paste your temporary password again and then enter your district password with the first letter capitalized in both the “New” and “Verify” field.
- Tap Change.
Note: If you receive the message “Choose Different Password”, you will need to come up with a different password. For example, you could use your district password with the second letter capitalized.
Note: If you have not received the “Apple School Manager” email, please email the district help desk at firstname.lastname@example.org from your district email and they will help your from there.
Additional iPad Directions
A webclip will automatically be installed on your device home screen called iPad Directions.
This webclip contains the following information that will be IMPORTANT to you. Please review this information.