This articles provides directions for manually backing up to iCloud.
1. From the Home Screen, tap Settings.
2. Tap your iCloud account located on the left panel near the top. (If you are not logged into your iCloud account you will need to do that at this time.)
3. Tap iCloud located on the right panel.
4. Tap iCloud Backup located on the right panel near the bottom.
5. Tap Back Up Now.
6. Once the backup is completed, you should see the current time listed after "Last Backup:".
7. You now have a current iCloud backup of your iPad.